Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Mozzies that could pick you up and cart you away.

It is with a mixture of relief, excitement and fatigue that we arrived yesterday at Forster. It is such a pretty caravan park here. Our site is sheltered by the shade of some extra tall palm trees and behind them is a beautiful little river. Everything is green and lush and just within arms reach. Our site looks over the two swimming pools, the Castaway Campers Shed (ie. campers kitchen, recreation hall & stage complete with little puppet alcoves), and in the distance are the playground and amenities.

As we pulled in we thought everything looked perfect, with the one exception that there are no concrete slabs for your annexe. But we sucked it up and took it on the chin because, heck, we're only here four days. Let's not get bent out of shape about it!

A few minutes after we pulled up, I took Grace for a short walk. I wanted to hang our annexe matting up on the pool fence in the sun so it would dry off after hosing. So we had a little wander and by the time we'd walked past the hall and into the playground, Grace had at least TEN mosquitos clinging to her delicious juicy flesh. I can not describe the rage I was feeling as I tried to squash these mini-vampires without hurting my little darling.

Camping is hard work and we've been struggling to keep a good attitude about a lot of things,... but these mozzies are so ferocious that they could almost pick you up and cart you away. This morning Grace wakes up and is covered in big pink bites. In an attempt to minimise mozzie bites, she is confined to the annexe. Our annexe has no concrete slab so we have little sections where the sand has made it's way through. I'm trying not to get cranky,... but between the mozzies and the sand all my efforts to remain calm have failed.

[sigh]

Forster is our first stop on our journey home to Brisbane and I am really glad to be heading back. Three months is a long time to be on the road and confined to a small living space. It is also a long time for Scott and Grace to have to put up with the ebbs and flows of my hormone therapy. I stopped taking it two or three days ago so we'll see if I calm down a little bit more soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home